Nowadays communication systems support ubiquity, seamless mobility and coexistence of several technologies making necessary more intelligent, robust and efficient technologies. The PHYCOM department is focused on the physical layer (PHY) design, implementation and validation of transmitter and receiver schemes or architectures, and signal processing techniques/algorithms improving the features of next generation communication systems. Some of these research efforts can be highly valuable when transferred to the industry. As an intermediate but necessary step, the Radio Technologies Laboratory (RTLAB) provides a suitable workspace and highly appreciated tools for prototyping and validating advanced PHY-layer research concepts under realistic conditions.
Some of the target applications are: Advanced base stations, femtocells, smart antennas, multi-channel IF systems, beamformers, , MIMO space-time coding, Software-defined radio (SDR), geolocation, cognitive radio, wireless applications (modems, OFDM antenna diversity, Wi-Fi, WiMAX and LTE transceivers, wireless backhaul equipment), power amplifier digital predistorters and real-time high-speed Test & Measurement systems.
We are equipped with several HW and SW tools for mixed-domain and multiple-purpose testing, troubleshooting and validation. Below you can find a categorization of our T&M instruments and RF, mixed-signal and baseband platforms or boards by use or function (click the main category links for further inventory details) including illustrative images. You can find further detail about the technical features and equipped options here.
SIGNAL TX INSTRUMENTS
- Arbitrary Waveform Generation – Vector Signal Generation – RF upconversion- Digital interfacing- CLK & RF synthesis - AWGN generation
RADIO CH EMULATION INSTRUMENTS
- RF MIMO channel emulation
SIGNAL RX INSTRUMENTS
- RF downconversion - Spectrum and signal analysis - Waveform capture
TRANSCEIVER PROTOTYPING BOARDS
- MIMO SDR and FPGA development (platforms) - COTS EVMods: FPGA, Data capture and Pattern generation, D/A+IQ modulation, RF direct synthesis D/A, RF sampling A/D
In addition to our HW infrastructure, we have also richly licensed SW tools for:
- Multi-domain design & simulation (RF/BB): Agilent Advanced Design System (ADS), Mathworks Matlab & Simulink
- Analog prototyping: ADS, Mentor Graphics
- Digital prototyping: Texas instruments Code Composer Studio IDE, Xilinx System Generator, ISE System Edition, ISE Foundation, ISE Design Suite Embedded Development Kit (EDK), Chipscope
- Wireless std. compliant signal creation: Agilent Signal Studio
- Wireless std. compliant signal demodulation: Agilent 89601AN VSA