Analog devices for wireless communications & sensors for vertical applications
Responsible: Ignacio Llamas-Garro
Team members: David López
- Device engineering and implementation: from design to fabrication and testing.
- Large range of operating frequencies, from a few MHz to infrared wavelengths.
- Experience with diverse technologies: Micro/nano fabrication, 3D printing, inkjet printing, laser machining, MEMS, superconductivity and LTCC.
- Reconfigurable and fixed device topologies.
Focused R&D area 1:
Wireless communication components
- Design and implementation of wireless components operating from a few hundred MHz to millimetre waves and terahertz frequencies.
- Filters, multiplexers, antennas including feeding networks, power dividers/combiners, passive components and front-end integration.
- Reconfigurable designs for multi-standard operation or fixed implementations.
MEMS switch [A1]
Micromachined components [A2]
3D printed power divider [A3]
LTCC diplexer [A4]
MEMS reconfigurable filter [A5]
Reconfigurable FSS [A6]
- National/regional: 3D-MUX, Trident 5G, SOSRAD, Nanowave.
- EC: COST action IC0803.
- [A1] S. Sim, Y. Lee, Y. Jang, Y. Lee, Y. Kim, I. Llamas-Garro, J. Kim, A 50-100 GHz ohmic contact SPDT RF MEMS silicon switch with dual axis movement, Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 162, pp. 69-74, August 2016.
- [A2] I. Llamas-Garro, Y. Kim, C. Baek, Y. Kim, A Planar High-Q Micromachined Monolithic Half Coaxial Transmission Line Filter, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques Vol. 54, No. 12, December 2006, pp 4161- 4168.
- [A3] Y. Lee, S. Sim, H. Kang, I. Llamas-Garro, Y. Wang, Y. Jang, J. Kim, Two-way Waveguide Power Divider using 3D Printing and Electroless Plating, in Proceedings of European Microwave Week, 23-28 September 2018, Madrid (Spain).
- [A4] I. Llamas-Garro, F. Mira, P. Zheng, Z. Liu, L. Wu, Y. Wang, All resonator based LTCC diplexer using substrate integrated waveguides, Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 21, pp. 1410-1412, November 2017.
- [A5] I. Llamas-Garro, Z. Brito-Brito, L. Pradell, F. Giacomozzi, S. Colpo, A Discretely Tuned RF-MEMS Bandstop Filter with Wide Tuning Range and Uniform High Rejection, Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 17, pp. 1065-1067, August 2012.
- [A6] M. R. T. de Oliveira, H. V. H. Silva Filho, E. M. F. de Oliveira, G. J. Pinheiro, M. T. de Melo, M. O. Alencar, A. G. Neto, I. Llamas-Garro, RFSS based on Cross Dipole or Grid using PIN Diode, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 9, pp. 2122–2126, September 2017.
Focused R&D area 2:
Frequency discriminators and interferometry for unknown frequency detection.
- Design and implementation of frequency discriminators, interferometers and frequency identification subsystems for unknown signal detection.
- Subsystems based on single bit per discriminator and compact reconfigurable multibit designs per discriminator.
- Frequency measurement technology comprehensive book [B1]
4 bit reconfigurable discriminator [B2]
|2 bit reconfigurable discriminator [B3]|
3 bit fractal discriminator [B4]
|4 Bit IFM [B5]|
RF MEMS switch video:
- NATO: MiniFIDS (Project awarded with the NATO Science Partnership Prize in 2018, in the field of advanced technologies among successful projects finished in the last ten years).
- National: AEThER.
- [B1] I. Llamas-Garro, M.T. de Melo, J. Kim, Frequency Measurement Technology, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA. ISBN: 9781630811716. January 2018.
- [B2] M. Espinosa-Espinosa, I. Llamas-Garro, B. G. M. de Oliveira, M. T. de Melo, J. Kim, 4-Bit Reconfigurable Discriminator for Frequency Identification Receivers, a Building Block Approach, Radio Science, Vol. 51, pp. 826–835, June 2016.
- [B3] M.Espinosa, B. G. M. de Oliveira, I. Llamas-Garro, M. T. de Melo, 2-Bit, 1-4 GHz Reconfigurable Frequency Measurement Device , IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 569-571, August 2014.
- [B4] C. P. N. Silva, G. J. Pinheiro, M. R. T. de Oliveira, E. M. F. de Oliveira, I. Llamas-Garro, M. T. de Melo, Reconfigurable frequency discriminator based on fractal delay line , IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 186-188, January 2019.
- [B5] B. G. M. de Oliveira, M. T. de Melo, I. Llamas-Garro, M. Espinosa, M. R. T de Oliveira, E.M.F de Oliveira, Integrated Instantaneous Frequency Measurement Subsystem Based on Multi-Band-Stop Filters , Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC, Sendai, Japan, 4-7 November 2014., November 2014.
Focused R&D area 3:
Sensors for hazardous material identification
- Design and implementation of sensors operating from microwaves to infrared wavelengths.
- Micro/nano structure and low-cost PCB implementations.
Microfabricated sensor head [C1]
3D printed gas cells
- NATO: Agentsensor.
- Spanish ministry of defense: SensorQ.
- National: Nanowave.
- [C1] E. Fontana, JM Kim, I. Llamas-Garro, G. Oliveira Cavalcanti, Microfabricated Otto chip device for surface plasmon resonance based optical sensing, Applied Optics, Vol. 54, No. 31, pp. 9200-9204, November 2015.
- [C2] Y. Lee, S. Sim, E. Fontana, I. Llamas-Garro, G. Oliveira Cavalcanti, JM. Kim, Silicon-on-quartz bonding based SPR chip, Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 1983–1989, May 2016.
- [C3] J. O. Maciel Neto, G. Oliveira Cavalcanti, I. Llamas-Garro, JM. Kim, E. Fontana, Pressure Sensing by Surface Plasmon Resonance in the Otto Configuration, in Proceedings of IEEE Sensors 2016, 30-2 November 2016, Orlando, Florida (USA).
- [C4] Y. Lee, S. Sim, M. Renata Nascimento dos Santos, G. de Freitas Fernandes, G. Oliveira Cavalcanti, I. Llamas-Garro, E. Fontana, JM. Kim, Reflectance ananlysis of the Otto chip using an automated reflectometer, in Proceedings of Optical MEMS and Nanophotonics Conference (OMN 2018), 29-2 August 2018, Lausanne (Switzerland).
Focused R&D area 4
This area has been inactive the recent years, but it is intentionally presented because the expertise still exists in PHYCOM.
- Architecture and design of RF modules and transceivers
- Intl. project: RAFTING (Radio frequency transceivers for next generation systems, finished)
- National/regional: GEDOMIS-ADCOMM (finished)
- Medea+ and FP7 (European): MIMOWA and BEFEMTO (both finished)
- Architecture and design of a high-end broadband modular RF transceiver: 100 MHz – 9 GHz RF operation and up to 200 MHz tunable BW.
- Architecture and design of a multi-channel multi-band (@2&5 GHz bands) receiver for WiFi and WiMAX applications.
- Filter design and prototyping (lumped & microstrip)