The vision of our department, in line with the vision of ETSI and other international fora, is that M2M communications will be facilitated by the following technologies, all of them operating in smooth harmony:
- Cellular-based communications; to provide wide-area connectivity.
- Capillary area networks; to provide access in the short-range and use M2M gateways as concentrators of data. These networks
- Satellite communications; to provide access in remote areas.
In all cases, energy-efficiency is a must, since M2M devices must live for years or even decades. Therefore, we include energy-harvesting techniques in all designs.
M2M technologies at CTTC:
- Satellite communications
- Long term evolution (LTE)
- Capillary networks
- Visible light communications
- Energy harvesting